9/04/2012

Meet and Greet for GUTGAA

Hi everyone!

This is my post for the Meet and Greet portion of the Gearing Up to Get An Agent Blogfest. It's basically a way to get to know fellow participants, and I thought it sounded like fun! So here are my answers to the questions Deana posted:



Where do you write? Mainly at my desk, but sometimes I like to write on my bed when I'm working with pen and paper. 

Quick. Go to your writing space, sit down and look to your left. What is the first thing you see? My printed out mss divided in three piles for my upcoming revision. I like to work in chunks as that makes it easy for me to not get overwhelmed.

Favorite time to write? The afternoon. I'm not a morning person (really, really not), and by the end of the day I'm usually too tired to do more than stare longingly at my bed.

Drink of choice while writing? I try not to bring anything liquid near my laptop because I'm sort of a klutz when  I'm writing. After one near disaster with a cup of coffee, I learned my lesson. I eat chocolate instead. Or peanuts. Or both.

When writing , do you listen to music or do you need complete silence? Music is a definite must. Usually something I've already listened to so much the lyrics kind of fade in the background. Or instrumental music from movie scores. I love those too.

What was your inspiration for your latest manuscript and where did you find it? I like to describe my latest manuscript as Veronica Mars meets Doctor Who. I've always wanted to write a time-travel story, even if I don't quite remember how I first got the idea.

What's your most valuable writing tip? Read Save the Cat by Blake Snyder. No, seriously, that stuff is gold. 

And that's it! I can't wait to read what everyone else came up with!


18 comments:

  1. I have a cupboard ms too! Actually a red folder in a box in the cupboard, but still. And I'm also a klutz. I use a spill-proof travel mug. Thanks for the Save the Cat recommendation. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you through GUTGAA! (isn't that acronym funny?) Veronica Mars meets Dr. Who... so a time traveling whip-smart girl detective? I'm sold! Time travel can be so fun, I think that sounds like a great idea.

    Save the Cat was really helpful in defining a pitch. I'm hoping to use the beat sheet for inspiration when plotting my next story (even though I jumped the gun and already wrote about 10k words for it!).

    Here's my GUTGAA Meet & Greet post: A Girl and her Diary P.S. I'm going to tweet your blog post to #GUTGAA so we can get you some more meet n' greeters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to *meet* you! Chocolate is a perfectly acceptable alternative to liquid. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I've never printed out my MS's. Queries and synopsis, yes. MS, no. I wonder if this makes me a bad writer :) haha

    SO nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to meet you! My first MS is still on a memory stick somewhere... I sort of did a happy dance when my computer crashed and I thought I lost it. No such luck. Maybe when I'm old and senile I'll read it again and wonder about my genius. :) Good luck with GUTGAA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Veronica Mars and Dr. Who, good inspiration -- I can see it.

    Good to meet you here on GUTGAA!

    Good luck,

    ReplyDelete
  7. I refused to put my MS in a cupboard, worked on it for fifteen years, now it needs just a little more polish and someone willing to publish a 188k novel from an unknown.
    Yeah, that ain't happening anytime soon.

    Nice to meet you though. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Save the Cat is the best!!! Nice to meet you, fellow GUTGAA pal! Looking forward to getting to read some of your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! Did you make it into the pitch polish 100? I didn't :( If you want to get a review of your pitch, let me now and we can swap! I just put mine up on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you divide your manuscript into chunks. I do that too, just on the computer because papers have a way of getting scattered every where by my cat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi from GUTGAA!

    You were lucky with the spilled coffee. Mine spilled directly into the key boad. Almost an entire cup of fresh hot coffee with a good dose of Creme Brulee creamer.

    Ruined. The funeral was terrible. I sent it off to be repaired and they never even returned it. I didn't get to say goodbye...

    Best wishes this month:)
    Talynn #28

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to meet you. I thought Save The Cat had something to do with movie scripts - might have to check it out. I'm late with the blog hop but good luck with GUTGAA anyway. :)
    Kat
    http://beyondthehourglassbridge.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too have to have music - and soundtracks are the best. for some reason the soundtrack to Downton Abbey has figured a lot in my current wip - which is weird since it's present day Bronx, not Edwardian England. Oh well. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. haha...I've gotten around my clutz problem by buying a cup with a built in lid and straw. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to drink near my laptop either.

    I wrote a time-traveling book too, although it had a really weird twist in that the characters only went like sixteen years back. (Normal time-travel books seem to always take place a super long time ago) It sounds cool though. I've never seen Veronica Mars but Dr. Who is awesome.

    Anyway, I was just stopping by to say hi. I got so inspired by all the great blogs on GUTGAA that I started my own. I'd love it if you'd stop by. :) Hope I see you over there and good luck with GUTGAA!

    ReplyDelete
  15. P.S. I saw you're reading Clockwork Prince. AWESOME book!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really have to read Save the Cat.

    I also love listening to music in the background. Lucky in that music weaves into my story-telling, rather than distracting me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Make sure to stay in control when dealing with serious issues such as surgery. satta king

    satta king

    ReplyDelete